Life In The Seas  
HomeGalleriesAbout George PerinaContactBuy ImagesGuide to Underwater Photography  
 
 
 [  Back to Marine Life Galleries  ]
 
Tube Sponge
Aplysina lacunosa

This species of tube sponge inhabits shallow tropical water and is generally not found below 100 feet. The tubes can reach a length of 6 feet. Sponges are the simplest of multicellular animals and have no differentiated organs.

Roatan, Honduras
 
Sea Facts:

Seawater accounts for 97 percent of earth's water. Of the remaining 3 percent, two-thirds is frozen solid in icecaps and glaciers. The remaining 1 percent of the world's water is found in clouds, precipitation, rivers, lakes and ground water.

Lake Baikal, in Siberia, is the largest and deepest lake in the world, containing 20 percent of the world's freshwater.

 

Tube Sponge

 
         
Visit George Perina's Nature Site
All images and content copyrighted George Perina and may not be used without consent.  Questions?  Contact me